1- Title and Commencement:
This statute maybe cited as “The statue of The International University of Africa, 1991”, and shall come into force from the date of its approval by the board of trustees and ratification by host country.
2- Repeal and saving:
(1) The Statute of the Islamic African Centre is hereby cancelled provided that all regulations, rules and orders issued hereunder shall be in force unless repealed or amended under the rules of this statute.
(2) All funds, properties, rights, privileges and obligations of the Islamic African Centre shall vest in International University of Africa.
3- Identity, Emblem and Site of the University:
(1) The University is an academic institution with a corporate personality and a common seal, and has the right to use in its own name.
(2) The University is constituted of the Board of Trustees, the Board of Administration, the academic staff, the employees, the students and the graduates.
(3) The University shall have an emblem to be approved by the Board of Trustees.
(4) The site of the University shall be in Khartoum, Capital of the Republic of Sudan and it may establish branches inside or outside the Sudan.
Objectives of the University:
The University shall have the following objectives:
(1) To recorrelate all sciences with their Islamic origins.
(2) To work towards the spreading of Islam and consolidation of essence of Islamic Faith and Culutre in Africa.
(3) To train and qualify preachers of Islamic faith, promote and coordinate Daawa activities and serve the Islamic communities in general and African communities in particular.
(4) To provide opportunities of higher education to Muslim, open horizons of leadership work and qualify the youth to take position of influence and actively participate in the development of their communities.
(5) To provide opportunities for the reaction, intellectual and sentimental pollination and exchange of experience between Muslim youth in Africa, and emphasis the essence of brotherhood and solidarity between them.
(6) To care for applied sciences and technology.
5- University Autonomy and Freedom of Academic Research:
(1) The University shall enjoy administrative and financial autonomy and shall have the right, within the orbit of its objectives and authorities, to draw syllabuses, constitute its boards and fix its conditions for enrolment or employment in the University.
(2) The University academic staff and students shall enjoy freedom of thought and academic research within the boundaries of Sharia and the framework of law and order to the extent of realizing the University objectives.
6- The University Chancellor:
(1) The Board of Trustees shall choose a chancellor to the University for a term of four years.
(2) The University Chancellor shall have the right to ask for information related to anything concerning the University, and the University Administration shall submit to him such information.
(3) The University Chancellor, when present, shall preside over the University ceremonies.
Organs of the University
7- Constitution of the Board of Trustees:
(1) The University shall have a Board of Trustees to be constituted in the following way:
a) Thirty members to represent the states, organizations and authorities in the Islamic World.
b) Ten person of efficiency and having interest in Islamic and Africam affairs to be chosen by the Board of Trustees for a term of four years for each of them.
c) The Vice Chancellor.
(2) The Board of trustees shall choose a chairman from amongst its members for a term of four years.
(3) The regulations shall prescribe the duties and obligations of membership, the cases of disqualification of membership and the case of trustee's seats becoming vacant and the way of filling them.
8- Functions and powers of the Board of Trustees:
The Board of trustees is the highest authority and shall have the right on behalf of the university and in its name to carry out all functions necessary to the realization of its objectives. Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing the Board of Trustees shall have the following function and powers:
(1) Initiation of policies and plans aiming at the development of the University, improvement of its academic, educational, administrative and financial efficiency and modernization of its means and procedures.
(2) Ratification of the general annual budget and the final report.
(3) Ratification of the development plan and its budget.
(4) Institution of faculties, schools, institutes, centers, departments, wakf and charitable institutions, service centers, and the acceptance, on recommendation of the Board of Administration, of the affiliation of faculties and institutes to the University.
(5) Ratification of the annual report submitted by the Board of Administration as to the academic, administrative and financial performance.
(6) Provision of funds necessary to the running of the University, and ratification of trusts and charities accepted by the Board of Administration.
(7) Putting down conditions for appointment, promotion and discipline.
(8) Making the necessary regulations to organize its work and discharge its functions and practices its powers.
(9) Delegation of any of its powers to its chairman, the Board of administration, the Vice Chancellor, the academic council or any of its committees.
(10) Appointment of the Vice Chancellor, his deputies and officials holding leading posts as may be provided for by the regulations.
(11) Choosing five persons to the membership of the University Board of Administration.
(12) Institution of corporations or companies for the purpose of investing and developing the University funds.
(13) Formation of ad hoc committees to help it to discharge its functions.
9- Meetings of The Board of Trustees:
(1) The Board of Trustees shall hold its regular meeting at least once a year and may hold an extraordinary meeting by invitation of its chairman or at the request of one third of its members or at the request of the Board of Administration.
(2) The Board of Trustees shall hold its meeting at the site of the University but it may hold such meetings in any member state.
(3) The Quorm to the meetings of the Board of Trustees shall be complete by the attendance of half of the members and its resolution shall be carried by the absolute majority of the votes of the members attending in a lawful meeting provided by section 27 (3) be taken into consideration.
10- Constitution of the Board of Directors:
The University shall have a Board of Administration constituted in the following way:
(1) The Vice Chancellor – chairman.
(2) The deputies of the vice chancellor; and the deputy of the vice chancellor administrative and financial affairs shall act as reporter.
(3) The dean.
(4) Five members to be chosen by the Board of Trustees for a term of four years.
11- Functions of the Board of Administration:
The Board of administration shall be responsible for the efficient administration of the University and implementation of the resolution taken by the University Board of the Trustees and shall have beside that the following function and powers:
(1) Appointment of the academic staff and employees in according with the regulations.
(2) Specifying conditions for admission of students to the University their qualification, specializations, their means of living, remunerations and bursaries.
(3) Preservation, development and efficient administration of University funds.
(4) Laying down of a system of accounts to the University in accordance with the rules and regulations.
(5) Acceptation of donations and trusts and prescribing how they are to be used.
(6) Concluding contracts and agreements necessary for the achievement of the University objectives.
(7) Borrowing whatever deemed necessary under the guarantee of any of the university funds.
(8) Preparing the University annual budget and development plan and its budget and submission of the same to the Board of trustees for ratification.
(9) Submission of annual report concerning the academic, administrative and financial performance to the Board of Trustees.
(10) Appointment of managers of centers, institutes, schools and all other institutions in accordance with the regulations.
(11) Laying down of regulations for carrying out its functions.
(12) Formation of administrative, financial and executive committees necessary to help the Board of Administration and the Vice Chancellor in his work and the delegation of any of its powers to the Vice Chancellor or to any of its committees.
(13) Submit to the board of trustees any recommendations or proposals to develop the work in the University.
12- Meeting of the Board of Directors:
(1) The Board of Directors shall meet at least once every month and may be called for an emergency meeting by its chairman or at the request of the chairman of the Board of trustees.
(2) The quorum to the meeting of the Board of Administration shall be complete by the attendance of half of its members and its resolution shall be carried out by the absolute majority of votes of the members in attendance.
13- The Vice Chancellor:
The University shall have a Vice Chancellor to be appointed from those who are academically qualified for a term of four years in accordance with the regulations and may be eligible for appointment to a second term.
14- Functions and powers of the Vice Chancellor:
The Vice Chancellor is the chief executive responsible before the Board of Trustees for the administration of the University and the performance of the Board of administration and shall have the following functions and powers:
(1) To positively influence the academic, educational, administrative and financial performance of the University, its good administration and development of its resources.
(2) To preserve discipline in the University and. to take any necessary measures with the consultation of the Board of Directors.
(3) To preside over the Board of Directors and the Academic Council and the committees emanating therefore and the admission and promotion committees of the academic staff.
(4) To represent the University and speak in its name before other
Institutions and authorities .
(5) To prepare an inclusive annual report as to the University
Academic, administrative and financial performance to be
Submitted to the Board of Trustees .
(6) To propose the rules and regulations to the Board of Trustees. (7) To delegate some of his functions and powers to any of his
Deputies, the deans, or the other University organs or committees.
15- Deputies of the Vice Chancellor:
The University shall have deputies to the Vice Chancellor ( one of them to be responsible for academic affairs and the other for financial and administrative affairs) to be appointed by the Board of Trustees on recommendation of the Vice Chancellor for a term of four years in accordance with the term of service prescribed by the regulations .
16- The Deans:
(l) There shall be for each faculty, institute, centre or school a dean or director to be appointed by the Board of Administration on recommendation of the Vice Chancellor provided that the academic standing and experience shall be considered in choosing him.
(2) The Board of Trustees, on recommendation of the Vice Chancellor, shall appoint from amongst the academic staff a dean of students who shall be responsible for provision of services to to enable the students to lead a better life and fulfill the required academic achievements .
(3) The dean shall fill his post for a term of four years.
(4) The dean shall be responsible before the Vice Chancellor in fulfilling the duties entrusted to him in accordance with the regulations .
(5) The Board of Administration may, on recommendation of the Vice Chancellor, appoint an undersecretary or deputy to the dean after consultation with the dean concerned
17- The Librarian
(1) The Board of Trustees shall on recommendation of the Vice Chancellor appoint a librarian to the library.
(2) The Librarian shall be responsible before the Vice Chancellor as to the execution of functions and discharge of his duties.
18- The Academic Council
The University shall have an academic council to be constituted as follows :
(1) The Vice Chancellor - chairman.
(2) The deputies of the Vice Chancellor; and the deputy of the Vice Chancellor for academic affairs shall be rapporteur.
(3) Members of the academic staff with the degree of professor and associate- professor
(4) The deans.
(5) The Librarian.
(6) Directors of centers school and institutes.
19- Functions of the Academic Council:
The Academic Council shall have the following functions and powers:
(1) To submit to the Board of Administration proposals concerning the academic conditions and qualifications of admission of students to the University.
(2) Organize study and examination programmes in accordance with the regulations.
(3) Lay down and review plans for the organization of faculties, centres, institutes, schools and departments, to outline the subjects of study and submit to the Board of Trustees through the Board of Administration recommendation for the institution of any faculty, centre, institute school or department or its abolition, amalgamation or division.
(4) A ward academic degrees.
(5) A ward honorary degrees and academic awards.
(6) Encourage academic researches, writings and publication
(7) Submit recommendations to the Board of Trustees and the Board of Administration concerning conditions and academic criteria for the appointment and promotion of the academic staff.
(8) Institute other academic council and committees as it deems fit and delegate to them any of its powers except the power of awarding academic degrees.
(9) To disqualify persons that have been awarded any degree from such degree and any credits ensuing it when such person are found guilty of any offence concerning honor or breach of trust.
(10) To make regulations that it deems necessary for caring out its job, execute its functions and practice its powers.
20- Meeting of the Academic council:
(1) The Academic Council shall meet at the times and places appointed by its chairman.
(2) The Deputy Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs shall act as chairman in the absence of the Vice Chancellor.
(3) The meeting of the Academic Council shall be legal by the attendance of the majority of the members and shall take its decision by a majority of the members present.
21 – Councils of Faculties, Institutes, Centers and Schools:
(1) There shall be for each faculty, institute, centre or school a council whose constitution and whose functions shall be in accordance with the regulations.
(2) The council of the faculty, institute, centre or school shall be concerned with the following matters.
(a) Preparation of plans and programs concerning the implementation of syllabuses and examinations and coordination between departments.
(b) Proposal of regulations to organize the academic activity, syllabuses and academic degrees.
(c) Nomination of examiners to be appointed to the Academic Council.
(d) Encouragement and promoting of academic research.
(3) The council shall submit its recommendations, proposals and regulations to the Academic Council for ratification.
22- Councils of Departments
There shall be established in every department a council to be headed by the head of the department and have all the academic staff in the department as members to organize the academic and administrative activity in the department.
23- Council for Students Affairs:
There shall be established a council for the students affairs to be headed by the Vice Chancellor or his deputy, and the regulations shall outline its functions, powers, the means of constitution and organization of its work.
Financial Rules and Amendment of the Statute
(1) The financial resources of the University shall consist of subscriptions of states and organizations who are members of the Board of Trustees, the gifts, endowments, wakfs and trusts accepted by the Board of Trustees or Board of Administration and the revenue from the University investments.
(3) The funds of the University shall be deposited in current or deposit accounts with the banks approved by the Board of Administration.
25- Budget, Accounts and Auditing
(1) The University shall have an independent annual budget prescribing its revenue and expenditure, which will be subject as to the supervision of its execution to what is stated in the financial regulations
(2) The Board of Trustees shall charge a chartered auditor to audit the University's accounts and the final account according to the terms prescribed by the Board of Trustees.
26- Ratification and Amendment of the Statute:
(1) This statute shall be ratified in a lawful meeting of the Board of Trustees by a majority of two thirds of the members attending.
(2) This statute may be amended on a proposal to be delivered to the members of the Board of Trustees one month prior to the date of the meeting which shall decide on the amendment.
(3) The proposed. Amendment shall not be legal until ratified by a resolution passed by two thirds of the members of the Board of Trustees attending in a lawful meeting.
The Board of Trustees shall issue regulations to organize the work of the different organs of the University.